Saturday, January 3, 2009

Confession: I hate audio books

I recently discovered that I am not a fan of audio books.

It had seemed like a good idea. Rather than listening to music on a twelve hour car ride, listen to a book. I love to read. This could knock out at least two novels?

Either The Gunslinger by Stephen King isn't very interesting, or the audio book was awful. We didn't get past the first disk.

We did make it through Mystery of the Blue Train by Agatha Christie, but I was struck over and over by the fact that I can read faster than they talk. I was impatient. The novel wasn't going fast enough. Everything felt stilted.

Occasionally, I would also want to review the material we had covered -- nearly impossible in an audio book.

The most enjoyable audio book was The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, by Stieg Larsson, but the voice the reader had for Salander was so terrible that it was distracting. A good story, but why the voice for a woman would be lower than the male characters infiltrated my thoughts more than once.

I'm definitely going to stick with reading. Not because of any kind of moral superiority but because they get on my nerves.

No comments: