Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Apologies To John Irving


I have a fantastic memory failing with this book. I don't remember when I first read it. I own the copy above, the trade paperback, but I'm pretty sure I bought it after I read it from the library.

Key words: pretty sure. I'm also pretty sure I read it after The Cider House Rules, or did I read it before because The Cider House Rules was out of the library? I can't be sure.

One thing I am sure of: I have described A Widow For One Year as my favorite John Irving novel. I've read it several times, but again, my memory fails. I think I haven't read it in at least two years.

So when I sat down to read it again, it was a shock. This is not just my favorite John Irving novel. That is an insult. This may be one of my favorite novels. The beginning is too beautiful, so simply crafted. I was in awe of its brilliance. In fact, that's what the praise on the back said: "Wisely and carefully crafted..." -USA Today

And its true. My breath was taken away when I skipped to the last page and read the end. Its just so perfect, so fitting that even though I skipped three hundred pages, I still had tears in my eyes.

This is my apology to John Irving: I had not given A Widow For One Year its proper due. It is not merely my fave John Irving book, but it is one of the best I have ever read and one that I enjoy rereading.

My conscience is now clear.

No comments: