Saturday, October 18, 2008

Books are expensive, especially when you're paying for them twice

Get Rich Slowly makes the point that if you're trying to save money, why buy books when you can get them from the library? True that. You're paying for the library with your taxes, so why pay more for books you can have for free?

Problems:
1. I read books over and over and over again. I think I have read the first Harry Potter book over 30 times. When I was a kid, I read the Laura Ingalls Wilder books over 50 times.
2. I totally work in a bookstore.

I do read books from the library. But now I do something that I didn't do seven or eight years ago; I've started checking out books that I've read before from the library, really enjoyed, rather than getting new books. It would be more convenient to just have the book within reach, rather than walk three blocks to get it, and have a time frame in which to read it.

Plus, our local library sucks. But I have not bought a new book since being in D.C., and did not bring any books with me.

In other news, I totally found two dollars in front of my apartment building. It'll go towards library late fines!

No comments: