Thursday, February 5, 2009

Don't read three books at once

I am, for no good reason, reading three books at once.

It began with Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin. Every good Democrat is reading it nowadays. And it is quite excellent.



But the reading goes slow because I am used to reading much more difficult things, so I began reading (on the side) Almost French by Sarah Turnbull.



She's an Australian journalist living in Paris with her boyfriend, and has trouble fitting in. Everything she does is wrong, from how much she drinks to how loud she laughs. This is a much easier read, especially if I'm reading right before I go to bed. Of all the books I am reading, this is the one closest to being done.

Team of Rivals is a heavy book and I stopped carrying it with me to work for fear of back problems. A representative for Harper Collins came by to drop off a book coming out this summer called Mortal Friends by Jane Stanton Hitchcock. Advanced Reader Copies for everyone!

Its based in Washington DC, with some of the murders by the "Beltway Basher" taking place around Dupont Circle. Its a little weak, but its an Advanced Reader Copy, so maybe some of it will be fixed. For one thing, I laughed out loud at "Beltway Basher" mostly because it is more silly than frightening. But apparently Bob Woodward has read it, and is quoted on the back as saying it is an accurate depiction of Washington high society.

And I'm only about halfway through that. Hopefully I'll finish at least once of them today...

No comments: