Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I Am Horribly Sexist (or something like that)



At work I read Chelsea Handler's memoir My Horizontal Life. I generally enjoyed it. She slept around, drank too much, dropped out of college and worked as a waitress (or whatever she could get). These were escapades of someone just out to have a good time. And reading the book was a good time. She is like your (alcoholic) friend who is always doing crazy shit and willing to talk about it in (sometimes gross) detail.

She uses guys (mostly only the ones she deems attractive, although that's a moving target with how much alcohol is involved) and I laughed. Because she's funny.

There's another book about (roughly) the same thing. Getting drunk, sleeping around, and not having a permanent job, written by a guy. Tucker Max.



Tucker Max is doing a book signing at the store I work at, so I thought, what the hell, might as well try it. After all, I had enjoyed reading My Horizontal life.

I didn't enjoy it. Maybe I only like hearing about guys being objectified. Maybe. But I didn't like it. It had many elements of things I enjoy. Competitive drinking. Eating too much. Being the center of attention. All the things Chelsea Handler had to offer.

Maybe I'm sexist?

I will defend myself with this, though: Chelsea Handler was never out-of-her-way mean to anyone for no apparent reason. Tucker Max would get drunk and insult everyone in a room, for being fat, ugly or drinking the wrong thing. He was asked to leave parties because he was so rude.

This is not the kind of person I want to spend a whole book with. If that makes me sexist...meh.

No comments: