Monday, October 6, 2008

I've palled with terrorists, too!

Every two years, Allen Hall at the University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign invites Bill Ayers and Bernadine Dohrn to speak following a showing of The Weather Underground, a documentary about their radical activist days. Every two years, the Daily Illini throws a hissy fit about Allen Hall "haboring terrorists." Allen Hall has a guest room where invited guests stay. The dorm sponsors these talks, and you can often see the invited guest in the dining hall. Another noted guest was Jim Loewen.

I saw them speak my freshman year of college. They did not advocate blowing up buildings. They did not advocate violence against the establishment. There are better ways, both Ayers and Dorhn said, to make your voice heard. Yet I've met them, and now I may never be able to run for public office because of my association. After all, for several days they slept not more than 100 yards from where I slept! The horror!

After all, Ayers is now a professor and expert on education theory. Dohrn is now the director of Northwestern's Children and Family Justice speaker as well as a law professor. If anything, its Dohrn who was more of a terrorist; Obama is only accused of chillin' with Ayers, her husband. Let's accuse Sarah Palin of palling around with people who want to secede from America next!

No comments: