Saturday, September 25, 2010

Men. On Couches.

I picked up The Lonely Polygamist from the library a week ago, and when I pulled it out of my bag, something about the cover seemed eerily familiar:


Don't see it? Don't get a flash of recognition?


What about now?


Still don't have it?

Its okay, I had to look at it for a while to figure out what I found familiar about it.


Of course, the obvious connection that anyone will make with Brady Udall's The Lonely Polygamist is Big Love, but the cover is strongly reminiscent of Don Draper.

After reading the book, I google image searched The Lonely Polygamist and found this cover:


To me, this is so much more about the book. While the couch (and dog!) are mentioned in the book, this above cover references just how much is going on, how crowded this person's life is. That's what a polygamist's life is like: constantly surrounded by people, constantly one of the crowd, and never an individual...unless you're the head of the family...who is the only person recognizable in the cover, in the doorway. 

No comments: