Friday, February 13, 2009

The Masque of the Black Tulip by Lauren Willig



After reading a memoir, most of Team of Rivals, and the advanced reader copy of Mortal Friends by Jane Stanton Hitchcock, I settled in to read something that would easily seep into my brain.

Historical romance. With spies, bodices and French mischief.

Last night in the bookstore, a woman happened to be purchasing the very book I just finished.

"Oh, I just finished that yesterday!"

"Are you a fan of hers? I've actually already read this and I'm giving it to a friend. I'm friends with the author."

I proclaim that I am very jealous of the author. This much is very true. Two books every year? Jesus Christ! She quit a lucrative job at a law firm to pursue her lucrative writing career! It is every blogger's dream!

We discuss the new novel coming out. I say that I haven't gotten past The Deception of the Emerald Ring because the DC library system does not carry it.

Instead, for the sake of continuing, I checked it out of the bookstore.

[This isn't the first time I've met someone who's friends with an author. A woman came in one morning before the inauguration to get a book for Bob Schieffer.]

Maybe someday I'll meet an author who I've read a lot of...maybe I could interview them? Does blogger cred do anything for anyone?

No comments: