Saturday, November 29, 2008

The District Of Columbia: Where Customer Service Goes To Die

Since arriving in the district, I have noticed a high level of bad customer service. Indifferent and rude workers, disappearing help, and difficult to navigate stores.

I was perplexed. Didn't these people want me to spend my hard earned money in their retail and restaurant establishments? I had been taught that customer service was more important than anything else. Did these people not get the same lesson?

It seems, however, people in DC don't want you to go out of your way. They don't want you to talk to them. They want their purchase, and they want out. They are embarrassed when you lead them to their item, or look excessively for what they asked for. "I can just go online," they say. "Really, don't go through any more bother." Or, "Really, I just want my purchase." Or even just a wave of their hand. As though you are an annoying fly.

It is incredibly isolationist. Okay, so some of the time people are trying to sell you things. Homeless people want your change. You've got a lot to be hard-hearted against.

But allow yourself friendly customer service. It's what we're here for.

No comments: