Sunday, December 21, 2008

Top Five Songs of The Year (of my year, not music industry's)

Lots of people think on this list, but I don't follow music well enough to know which five songs that came out this year I really loved. Sometimes I discover (or rediscover) something in 2005 or 1995. Of course, this is going to be heavy on one band, because this year I really discovered one band for the entire year. Oh, yeah, I love Ra Ra Riot, Vampire Weekend, etc, but I discovered a band previously unknown to me that a a back catalogue. And the listening ensued.

1. Okkervil River - Our Life Is Not A Movie Or Maybe



Thanks to Kristen for giving me this album. Thanks to Last.Fm for allowing me to download this track for free.

2. Amy Winehouse - Rehab



An anthem for the night out. Played continuously while getting ready to go out.

3. Okkervil River - You Can't Hold The Hand of a Rock And Roll Man



I kinda love Marie in this song. The character. Anyway, this video is from the Canopy Club. I was told that he was sick during this and it didn't sound good. Lies!

4. Okkvervil River - John Allyn Smith Sails



The last two minutes. Sigh.

5. Vampire Weekend - Walcott



I think I only listened to this spring semester into the summer a little bit. It started with Kristen forcibly suggesting I should be listening to them. All the blogs were a-chatter with this Vampire-y Weekend. Staying in Saturday night to watch SNL with them on it. Et cetera.

Honorable Mention:

Tally Hall - The Whole World and You



God Dammit, guys, make a new album.

No comments: